Are you in the Wrong Relationship?
It’s easy to overlook your partner’s flaws when the relationship is new and hot and heavy. But, when the excitement starts to wane and the star-dust fades, that’s when you’re going to discover whether your relationship really works. You may find yourself a lot less forgiving about your partner’s annoying habits and niggling eccentricities. Here are a few red flags to let you know it could be time to move on.
- Are you constantly wondering what your partner is up to when you’re not with them? Are you checking the smart phone, eavesdropping on conversations? Suspicious minds are a sure relationship killer. If you can’t trust them, you shouldn’t be with them.
- It’s not a good sign if you’re worried about introducing your partner to friends and family. Not everyone is going to like your boyfriend or girlfriend; however, if most of the people you value have a negative opinion of them, chances are you should listen. It’s not fun feeling isolated and defensive.
- Good relationships should build you up not put you down. So if you’re getting one too many nit-picking criticisms in the guise of a joke than it’s time to put your foot down. Repeated Passive aggressive remarks are unhealthy in any relationship. They deflate your confidence and under mind trust.
- As Billy Joel said “Don’t go changing to try to please me’. If you feel the need to change or mould your values, beliefs even clothing to make your partner happy, the relationship will ultimately fail. Remember, if you’re not happy with you, no one else will be either.
- Wandering eyes lead to wondering minds leads to wandering partners. I wouldn’t want my husband to stop me from appreciating the occasional passing hunk, but that appreciation shouldn’t be too obvious or too often otherwise you need to ask yourself why you’re considering other options.Let’s talk about sex…or lack there of… Yes, your relationship is not all about the physical but you do need chemistry to keep the fire going. The key is finding the right balance and if there is no action or too much for your liking, than perhaps it’s not the right connection. Look for the package that includes both love and sex.
- And finally the obvious: You’re actually questioning whether you’re in the right relationship! So many of us don’t listen to our inner voice. We also ignore big signs that things are wrong. Think about all the mental notes you’ve made about your partner and articulate them before either one of you gets hurt. You could save yourself a lot of time and effort.