It’s unrealistic to think that you’re always going to feel good about yourself because frankly you’re not. That’s only human. However, you can do a few basic things to help build yourself a foundation of confidence that will carry you through many of life’s ups and downs. Here are a few of my top suggestions to either get you started building or remind you of the confidence you already have within.
- Don’t compare yourself to others. What a waste of time and energy. You can’t possibly know all that lies behind someone else’s facade just as they don’t know what lies behind yours. For all you know, they may be plagued with problems and you may not want to swap places after all.
- Acknowledge your insecurities and talk to someone about them. It always helps to get an outside perspective on what you perceive as a weakness.
- Make a list of your signature strengths. We’re all good at some things. Write a memo on your phone so your power strengths are at your fingertips when you need reminding.
- Adapt a positive mindset. Act positive even when you don’t feel that way. You’ll find that your proactive behaviour will have an impact on your attitude. Don’t let others make you feel inferior.
- Be thankful for what you have. Many of our insecurities stem from thoughts that we are lacking something. Best to remember what you do have and give thanks.
- Don’t strive to be perfect, no one is.
- Exercise and eat right. The better shape you’re in, the better you will feel about yourself.
- Use positive affirmations. Make friends with your mirror and create a positive mantra that you can repeat to yourself every morning and evening. They really do work if you use them repeatedly.
Stand tall and believe you can achieve anything you what you want to achieve.