Happy 2014! Here’s to all the happiness and challenges this year may bring all of us. I don’t believe in New Year’s resolutions. After years of unfulfilled personal promises I know with certainty that actions speak a lot louder than words. Real, lasting change requires conviction and dedication to the cause. Human metamorphosis are not something that happens in a few weeks but over a period of time. It is a journey. So, this year be steadfast in your conviction to make positive transformations in your life. Whether you choose to let go of bad habits that hinder your happiness, make slight life adjustments or if you need to do a complete about-face, here are a few suggestions that can help you keep your changes on track.
- If it doesn’t make you happy, don’t bother. You’re much more likely to work hard for something that will bring you happiness, so start there.
- Declutter your brain. Dump all negative influences and energy drainers. They will only bring you down.
- DO NOT PROCRASTINATE!
- Set yourself realistic, attainable goals. Don’t try to make too many big changes at once.
- Break your goals down into bite size pieces. Put time measurements on your progress and check yourself regularly.
- Keep a record of your goals and progress on paper, on your mobile and any other place you’re likely to see them on a daily basis.
- Have a support system in place. Goals are often very personal, but it’s important to have someone with whom you can share your successes and frustrations. Perhaps you can do the same for them.
- Don’t be put off by disappointment. We are usually keen to succeed when we set goals for the New Year. However, as time moves along our commitment to success can fade and frustration sets in. In comes the same old mundane routines and excuses that sabotaged you in the past. Don’t let disappointments and set-backs defeat you. Use your support system and determination to get ourselves back on track.
Let 2014 be the year you follow through on your dreams. Work to your potential and follow through until you achieve your goals. Life is what you make of it anchor your future in this sage advice:
“To your enemy, forgiveness.
To an opponent, tolerance.
To a friend, your heart.
To every child, a good example.
To yourself, respect.
To all charity.”